If you attract mosquitoes like a magnet and you’re looking for a way to keep them at distance the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Device could be what you’re looking for.
In this review, you will discover the advantages of using this product.
What is the Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Device?
This is a small mosquito repelling device measuring just 10 x 6 x 2 inches and weighing 2 pounds. This means it can be carried around and used anywhere you need it for example when you’re fishing hunting, camping, in your garden or even when you’re walking. You can be totally mobile and not have to spray yourself with unpleasant repellents.
The Thermacell devices create a 15 ft x 15 ft (depending on the wind) mosquito free zone.
How does it work?
The Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Device works the same way as the other Thermacell Products the Lanterns or the Torches.
The device is powered by a small butane cartridge. The cartridge heats up a mat that’s saturated with the repellent. With the effect of the heat, the repellent is dispersed into the air, creating a zone of protection.
You can see how it works in the video below.
Thermacell appliances use a repellent called allethrin. Allethrin is a synthetic version or pyrethrum. Pyrethrum is a botanical insecticide found naturally chrysanthemum flowers. Allethrin was introduced in 1949.
Is Allethrin Safe For Adults And Children?
Thermacell have sold hundreds of thousands of repellent devices and millions of refill mats. Apparently, there haven’t been any health problems reported to the company.
There have been some studies conducted on the effects of Allethrin on humans. Even in a worst case scenario, where a Thermacell device was operating indoors, in a room with no windows or ventilation and was running for 8 hours. The scientist running the study came to the conclusion that a Thermacell device does not pose an unreasonable risk to adults or children.
There have been several scientific field tests carried out by different bodies, notably the Department of Defense, and on 4 continents.
The results for mosquitoes, sand flies and no-see-ums were quite conclusive. In an area 7.5 feet each side of the device, it was 95-98% effective. There was some protection up to 25 feet from the unit.
In a test against black flies, protection was optimal at 3.75 feet from the device. This test was carried out in windy conditions, in calm weather, the area would probably be greater.
- Completely portable can be used anywhere.
- Separately purchased holster means you can even use it when you’re walking or working in the garden.
- Silent operation when repelling mosquitoes and other insects
- Almost odorless
- No open flame or contact with the skin
- Refills of gas and repellent mean it can be used indefinitely [/thrive_text_block]
- Easy to change repellent mats and butane cartridge. The mats last for 4 hours and the gas cartridges for up to 12 hours. There are also max life mats available which last for 12 hours
- You can check the fuel level of the butane cartridge by holding vertically and looking through the slot at the rear of the device.
- Simple to get working out of the box
- Cover a larger area by having more than one Thermacell Device
- For outdoor use only, don’t use in an enclosed area
- Can only use Thermacell mats and cartridges in the device
- Unit gets hot during use
- Running costs will mount up if you use it often
- Will be less effective if there is some wind or you are mobile
- Needs to heat up for a few minutes before it starts emitting the repellent
- Need to cover food when operating the device
- Although the allethrin repellent seems to be quite safe, it is dangerous for fish and aquatic invertebrates. Be careful when disposing of your used mats. Wash your hands after touching the mats and keep out of reach of children.
The vast majority of people who have purchased this device seem to be happy and say it works well just as the field tests suggest. To have a small mosquito free area the Thermacell Outdoor and Camping Mosquito Repellent Device seems to work for most as promised and is recommended.
The repellent is harmless to humans and animals when it’s in the air but be sure to keep the mats away from young children. This device can give you a safe and effective way to repel mosquitoes and other biting insects. Easy to take on any outdoor trips you are planning, making this a very interesting product.