The Mega-Catch Ultra Mosquito Trap is 1 of 4 traps produced by Mega-Catch.
Female mosquitoes find their prey by using a combination of sensory clues such as heat, light, sweat, and carbon dioxide to name just a few.
The Ultra Mosquito Trap is renowned to be more reliable and also tests have shown that it catches more mosquitoes than other traps. This is probably because these traps have multiple combinations that simulate the sensory clues emitted by humans or other animals.
It has a heating element to imitate the body temperature of warm-blooded animals, the LED lights are set up to imitate movement, the optional CO2 gas system imitates human or animal respiration, adding soda or syrups to the water in the catch buckets, tricks the mosquitoes into thinking they have found a source of energy.
Altogether this trap provides a wide range of attractants and most of these have several different settings which mean you can experiment until you find the settings that give you the best results.
To get the most out of your trap, it will probably take some trial and error to find the right combination of mosquito attractants and the best position in your garden.
It’s recommended to place the trap between the source of mosquitoes and the area where people gather. Like with any other bug zappers, it should not be placed too near any area you may use. Otherwise, the mosquitoes will just be attracted to you and you may make matters worse instead of better.
So take your time and this mosquito trap will help you reduce the numbers of mosquitoes in your yard. According to tests comparing other well-known mosquito traps, the ULTRA Mosquito Trap was the most effective capturing more mosquitoes than the other models.
- LED lights to give the impression of movement
- UV lights set to oscillate at frequencies that attract different mosquito species
- Black UV light to attract other species
- Adjustable heat settings
- Variable fan speed settings
- Can be used with or without CO2 and Octenol as required
- Multiple combinations of settings can be programmed
- With the correct combination of attractants, it can be set up to attract a certain mosquito species
- Different catch methods – mesh bag or liquid container
- All weather casing
- 12-month warranty
You can see these features in more detail in this video.
- The majority of customers seem satisfied with the mosquito catching prowess of this trap and in general, they seem to have better results than with other traps they were previously using.
- It attracts mosquitos from over 150 feet away and covers an area of about 1.5 acres. Also, attracts other biting insects such as black flies and biting midges (no see-ums)
- The wet catch bucket can be used with a mixture of water and a sugar-based drink. This creates a humid air flow that is like human breath. You can also place any other of your homemade lures at the base of the trap, some have reported success with smelly socks or certain cheeses.
- One of the things I like most about this trap is that it doesn’t seem to kill many other insects like moths, butterflies or bees. If you do find you are catching moths, you can turn off the UV tube.
- Using no chemicals makes this an environment-friendly mosquito trap with no danger to pets, children or other wildlife.
- The automatic timer allows you to program the trap to work only when you need it, or when the mosquitoes are active. This is usually early morning or in the evening. Possibly through the day if you have mosquitoes that bite during the day.
- The support seems to be very good and I have read reviews from customers who have had very good service even with old units. Many people seem to have had their units for 7 or 8 years which is encouraging.
- You can choose whether to use CO2 and an Octenol lure or not. These may increase catch rates but also your running costs.
- The high initial price is the biggest con. Some customers seem quite happy while others find it overpriced.
- Some buyers report that the timer unit seems to die quite often. This will be replaced for free if still under warranty.
- The unit seems to get much better results if used with CO2. Which means you will have to add a CO2 cylinder to your expenses. The quantity you use will depend on how many hours you have your Mega Trap running.
- You will have to empty your trap quite often and clean the fan.
Although the price is on the expensive side most people seem to be happy with the Mega-Catch Ultra Mosquito Trap. The positive reviews outnumber the negative reviews by more than 2 to 1.
Even some of the negative reviews are happy with the number of mosquitoes they are capturing. Some seem to be disappointed that they still had mosquitoes in their yard!
One important point when you are paying so much for a mosquito trap is the customer service. This seems to be excellent. I read of one customer who contacted customer service after having a problem with their unit when it was just out of warranty. The support replaced the faulty part free of charge and even threw in a few extras. Having customer service like this is a great advantage!
It does seem necessary to use CO2 for best results, but some users have good results using the trap just with their own concoction of water and a sugar-based drink in the wet catch bucket. When you receive your ULTRA Mosquito Trap it’s a good idea to try a few different mixtures in the catch bucket to see what it catches. Later you can add the CO2 to compare what works the best and if it’s worth the extra expense of using the CO2.
If you can afford the price this seems to be a great mosquito trap. This Mega-Catch trap will not get rid of 100% of mosquitoes but will drastically reduce numbers allowing you to profit from your garden again.