The Mega-Catch Ultra is one of four traps produced by Mega-Catch. However, it’s the only trap in the range that comes with the capability to use CO2 as an attractant, although one of the other traps, the PREMIER XC Mosquito Trap, can be upgraded to use CO2.
Mosquitoes will pick up the chemical cues of CO2 and octenol from as far away as 150 feet. Then as they come closer, they will see the UV light, and at about 30 feet from the trap, they will pick up the heat and moisture.
I may earn a commission for purchases using links on my site. Learn More
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Works by imitating signals which attract mosquitoes and other biting insects such as sand flies, black flies and biting midges
- Mega-Catch traps are safe, non-toxic and environmentally friendly
- Thousands of setting options that enable the Ultra to be fine-tuned to target specific mosquito species,
- The stand that comes with the Ultra suspends the trap at the optimal height - approximately 2 to 3 feet above ground level.
- Can be run with or without CO2, catch rates will normally be much higher with CO2
Setting Up Your Trap – Many Options
Mosquito Attracting Stimuli Settings
- Fan speed settings from 1 – 5, you will need the fan for the capture of all species of mosquitoes
- Heat pulsing element settings from off or settings from 1 – 5
- LED cluster flicker speed from off, 1 – 5, gives the impression of movement
- Oscillating UV light from off, 1 – 5, adjusts the light intensity to frequencies known to attract mosquitoes
- Low-intensity black light UV cathode tube, on or off (good for daytime biters)
- Gas settings can be off or set from 1 – 5. Using CO2 increases the capture rate of most mosquitoes by 400%, but more gas doesn’t necessarily mean a better catch.
Catching System and Lures
- Should you use the catch bag or the catch bucket? Your trap comes with both, and you may think it doesn’t really matter which you use. But Mega Catch research shows using liquid in the catch bucket is more effective.
The catch bag will need less attention and is a good alternative if you don’t have the time or will be absent for a while.
Whereas the bucket used in conjunction with water and soda or syrup will need to be replenished a least once a week and possibly more often. The water creates a humid airflow similar to human breath, and the syrup or soda reproduces the sugars found in flowers on which the mosquitoes feed.
If you catch smaller biting insects, like no-see-ums, they might be able to escape through the mesh of the catch bag. Therefore the catch container would be better in this case.
- Do you want to add a lure? The mega-catch fragrance strips can improve the capture rates for mosquitoes, biting midges, sand flies, and black flies. But it can depend on the species in your area, so it requires more trial and error. You can also try other attractants placed in the base of the trap; for example, some species of mosquitoes bite feet, so you could try adding smelly socks to the trap.
Persevere for Greater Success
Taking the time to set it up for the mosquitoes in your yard will give you better results in the long run.
- LED lights give the impression of movement
- UV lights are set to oscillate at frequencies that attract different mosquito species
- Black UV light attracts other species
- Adjustable heat settings
- Variable fan speed settings
- Can be used with or without CO2 and Octenol as required
- Multiple combinations of settings can be programmed
- With the correct combination of attractants, it can be set up to attract a certain type of mosquito.
- Different catch methods – mesh bag or liquid container
- All-weather casing
- 12-month warranty
- The majority of customers seem satisfied with the mosquito-catching prowess of this trap. In general, they seem to have better results than with other traps they previously used.
- It attracts mosquitos from over 150 feet away and covers an area of about 1.5 acres. Also, it attracts other biting insects such as black flies and biting midges (no see-ums)
- The wet catch bucket can be used with a mixture of water and a sugar-based drink. This creates a humid airflow that is like human breath. You can also place any other of your homemade lures at the base of the trap. Some have reported success with smelly socks or certain cheeses.
- One of the things I like most about this trap is that it doesn’t seem to kill many other insects like moths, butterflies, or bees. If you do find you are catching moths, you can turn off the UV tube.
- Using no chemicals makes this an environment-friendly mosquito trap with no danger to pets, children, or other wildlife.
- The automatic timer allows you to program the trap to work only when you need it or when the mosquitoes are active. This is usually early morning or in the evening. Possibly through the day if you have mosquitoes that bite during the day.
- The customer support seems to be very good, and I have read reviews from customers who have had outstanding service, even with old units. Many people seem to have had their units for 7 or 8 years, which is encouraging.
- Comes fully assembled and ready to plug in.
- A 60-foot low-voltage extension cord is included.
- DIY maintenance -these mosquito catchers are designed to be serviced by their owners. On their website, they have videos and worksheets that can be downloaded – very helpful!
- You can choose whether to use CO2 and an Octenol lure or not. These may increase the capture rate but also your running costs. However, the carbon dioxide cylinder on the recommended setting should last about 4 months. This is a lot longer than the cylinder used on a propane trap.
- The high initial price is the biggest con. Some customers seem quite happy, while others find it overpriced.
- Some buyers report that the timer unit seems to die quite often. This will be replaced for free if still under warranty.
- The unit seems to get much better results if used with CO2. This means you will have to add a CO2 cylinder to your expenses. The quantity you use will depend on how many hours you have your Mega Trap running.
- You will have to empty your trap often and clean the fan, but this is normal for all traps.