We may earn a commission for purchases using links on our site. Learn more.
Have you had enough of being bugged by fruit flies, gnats, and mosquitoes? In this post, we look at the Katchy Indoor Insect Killer.
Could it be a solution to get rid of these pesky insects? Will it provide a safe, effective way to kill these annoying insects inside your home? Let’s find out!
Features and Benefits
- Chemical-free; safe to be used around family and pets
- Uses UV light to attract the bugs, a fan to suck them in and a glue board to trap them
- Needs electricity to work. It comes with a USB cable 42 inches long and a USB to AC plug adapter
- Manual operation, you have complete control
- 2-speed settings -silent mode or standard modes which is stronger
- Comes with 4 glue boards, additional packs of glue boards can be purchased
- For indoor use only
- Portable, easy to move to another place you just need electricity
- Works quietly, no zapping sound when insects are caught, just the sound of the fan
- Stylish design, you can choose between black or white
- Choice of standard or low speed; low speed makes less noise
- Easy to use; switch on and leave it to catch the flying insects
- Designed to catch fruit flies, moths, gnats, and mosquitoes
- Coverage area 320 sq. feet
- Dimensions 5.5 x 5.5 x 9.1 inches
- Weighs 1.39 pounds
How it Works
The Katchy Insect Trap uses ultraviolet light to attract insects. Once the insects fly around the top of the trap, a fan sucks them in. The insects then descend to the bottom of the trap, where they are trapped on a glue board.
When you first get the trap you may need to run it day and night. But as the numbers of flying bugs decrease, running the trap at night will probably be enough.
The trap is not for outdoor use, so place the Katchy Indoor Fly Trap trap near fruit, plants, or the trash bin inside your house, where insects are a problem.
The unit is manual; you turn it on when you like and select either standard or silent mode. For better results, the standard mode is more powerful.
As Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Pros and Cons
- A quick and easy system to tackle your indoor insect problems
- Portable, chemical-free, safe, small, and light to move around. If you have a USB port available (a power bank or laptop) the Katchy could be used on camping trips
- Safe – no chemicals or other dangerous components no zapping
- Quiet when working, no zapping, just the sound of the fan
- Clean safe solution. No insect parts sprayed around as in the use of bug zappers
- One year guarantee and customer service seems reactive
- Larger insects such as house flies may not be trapped
- Needs to be placed near the source fruit flies or gnats for best results
- Cost of replacement glue boards
What Amazon Customers Say About the “Katchy”
The Katchy Insect Trap has tens of thousands of reviews on Amazon, with thousands of five-star ratings. It comes highly recommended! Let’s see what a few Katchy verified purchasers say about it.
One verified purchaser started with one to see if it would catch mosquitoes to stop their children from getting bites. It worked, no more bites for their kids, and they now have 3 Katchy’s! Another purchaser started with one and now has 6
Although skeptical when she brought the insect trap, a different purchaser states that she is delighted at how many fruit flies it’s catching. The unit is quiet even in the stronger mode; it sounds like a small fan. She intends to buy another unit!
One shopper who was having problems with mosquitoes and sandflies started with one trap and was so impressed they purchased 6 more! They say it hardly makes any noise when working, and the UV light doesn’t bother them.
Another reviewer was also pleased with the unit catching mosquitoes. They point out that mosquitoes aren’t usually attracted to light, but the Katchy seems to catch them, and their house is now mosquito-free. They mentioned a negative point that the trap is a little too bright when on the standard mode, but the silent mode provides a comfortable alternative.
There are many reviews from other satisfied customers and some 1-star reviews. The most common complaints with the 1-star reviews are that the trap doesn’t catch anything or the fan makes a lot of noise.
Most people are very satisfied with the Katchy Indoor Trap. It seems to trap fruit flies, gnats, moths, and mosquitoes. I’ve also read of people catching aphids if placed next to plants.
Another Katchy product, the Katchy Automatic Insect Trap, works in exactly the same way. Either manually, or it can be set up to turn on automatically when the room is dark enough and turn off again when there is enough light in the room.
Many purchasers recommend the Katchy trap as effective for catching small flying insects – worth trying!